Menstrual cycle characteristics and steroid hormone, prolactin, and growth factor levels in premenopausal women.
MetadataShow full item record
PURPOSE: Menstrual cycle characteristics are markers of endocrine milieu. However, associations between age at menarche and adulthood sex steroid hormone levels have been inconsistent, and data on menstrual characteristics and non-sex steroid hormones are sparse. METHODS: We assessed the relations of menstrual characteristics with premenopausal plasma sex steroid hormones, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), prolactin, and growth factors among 2,745 premenopausal women (age 32-52) from the Nurses' Health Study II. Geometric means and tests for trend were calculated using multivariable general linear models. RESULTS: Early age at menarche was associated with higher premenopausal early-follicular free estradiol (percent difference < 12 vs. > 13 years = 11%), early-follicular estrone (7%), luteal estrone (7%), and free testosterone (8%) (all p trend < 0.05). Short menstrual cycle length at age 18-22 was associated with higher early-follicular total (< 26 vs. > 39 days = 18%) and free estradiol (16%), early-follicular estrone (9%), SHBG (7%), lower luteal free estradiol (- 14%), total (- 6%), and free testosterone (- 15%) (all p trend < 0.05). Short adult menstrual length was associated with higher early-follicular total estradiol (< 26 vs. > 31 days = 14%), SHBG (10%), lower luteal estrone (- 8%), progesterone (- 9%), total (- 11%) and free testosterone (- 25%), and androstenedione (- 14%) (all p trend < 0.05). Irregularity of menses at 18-22 was associated with lower early-follicular total (irregular vs. very regular = - 14%) and free estradiol (- 14%), and early-follicular estrone (- 8%) (All p trend < 0.05). Irregularity of adult menstrual cycle was associated with lower luteal total estradiol (irregular vs. very regular = - 8%), SHBG (- 3%), higher total (8%), and free testosterone (11%) (all p trend < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: Early-life and adulthood menstrual characteristics are moderately associated with mid-to-late reproductive year's hormone concentrations. These relations of menstrual characteristics with endogenous hormone levels could partially account for associations between menstrual characteristics and reproductive cancers or other chronic diseases.
Version of record
Gonadal Steroid Hormones
Human Growth Hormone
Insulin-Like Growth Factor Binding Protein 3
Insulin-Like Growth Factor I
Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin
License start date
Cancer Causes Control, 2017, 28 (12), pp. 1441 - 1452
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Dowsett, M; Johnston, S; Martin, LA; Salter, J; Hills, M; Detre, S; Gutierrez, MC; Mohsin, SK; Shou, J; Allred, DC; Schiff, R; Osborne, CK; Smith, I (2005-07)De novo resistance to endocrine therapy is a near-universal feature of oestrogen receptor (ER)- negative breast cancer. Although many ER-positive breast cancers also show no response to tamoxifen or aromatase inhibitors ...
Targeting tumour re-wiring by triple blockade of mTORC1, epidermal growth factor, and oestrogen receptor signalling pathways in endocrine-resistant breast cancer. Ribas, R; Pancholi, S; Rani, A; Schuster, E; Guest, SK; Nikitorowicz-Buniak, J; Simigdala, N; Thornhill, A; Avogadri-Connors, F; Cutler, RE; Lalani, AS; Dowsett, M; Johnston, SR; Martin, L-A (2018-06-08)BACKGROUND: Endocrine therapies are the mainstay of treatment for oestrogen receptor (ER)-positive (ER+) breast cancer (BC). However, resistance remains problematic largely due to enhanced cross-talk between ER and growth ...
Cancer Risks in Patients Treated With Growth Hormone in Childhood: The SAGhE European Cohort Study. Swerdlow, AJ; Cooke, R; Beckers, D; Borgström, B; Butler, G; Carel, J-C; Cianfarani, S; Clayton, P; Coste, J; Deodati, A; Ecosse, E; Gausche, R; Giacomozzi, C; Hokken-Koelega, ACS; Khan, AJ; Kiess, W; Kuehni, CE; Mullis, P-E; Pfaffle, R; Sävendahl, L; Sommer, G; Thomas, M; Tidblad, A; Tollerfield, S; Van Eycken, L; Zandwijken, GRJ (2017-05-01)Context: Growth hormone (GH) is prescribed for an increasing range of indications, but there has been concern that it might raise cancer risk. Published data are limited. Objective: To examine cancer risks in relation to ...